Q's Daily DIY Green Tips: Energy Star Fixtures
When renovating your bathroom or kitchen or other part of your home, at some point you will consider what lighting fixtures you will be installing. What fixture to choose? Are asthetics your only criteria? What about energy? Provided you have done your research on the pros and cons of fluorescent lighting, choosing an ENERGY STAR rated light fixture may likely be the best way to go. What qualifies a fixture to be ENERGY STAR? The merits speak for themselves. As per the Environmental Protection Agency, and ENERGY STAR fixture must
- use 1/4 the energy of traditional lighting.
- save money on energy bills and bulb replacements, with bulbs that must last at least 10,000 hours (about seven years of regular use).
- distribute light more efficiently and evenly than standard fixtures.
- come in hundreds of decorative styles including portable fixtures — such as table, desk and floor lamps — and hard-wired options such as front porch, dining room, kitchen ceiling and under-cabinet, hallway ceiling and wall, bathroom vanity fixtures, and more
- deliver convenient features such as dimming on some indoor models and automatic daylight shut-off and motion sensors on outdoor models.
- can be found at most home centers, lighting showrooms, and specialty stores.
- carry a two year warranty — double the industry standard.